Saturday 6 December 2014

Slab Construction


The fourth project for class was a slab construction. I knew exactly what I wanted to create so I got out my clay and pounded it into a rectangular block. Then I used the slab roller to roll out the clay for my monster box. I needed a square template so I looked around the classroom. I found a cut out cardboard. Although it was not a perfect square, I made it work. I traced out six squares with a needle tool and cut them out with a knife. I placed them on a shelf in a plastic bag to dry overnight.


The next thing was to cut the sides of the slabs at a 45 degree angle. That was the biggest challenge. I was able to cut the sides at a 45 degree angle but to cut it in a straight line was difficult. When I had to restart on a square slab, I used a wooden thumb to blend the pieces back together. I was fortunate the clay was still moist enough for the pieces of clay to stick back together.

After I cut all the edges of all slabs, I put them up together to see if it all fits. Some didn't so I fixed them. I made sure they all fit again. After, I used some kind of toothed-tool to scrape the edges of the slabs. Then, one by one, I used slip to combine the slabs together. I started with the bottom then did the four sides. I left the top slab for later. I used the knife to cut the box. I started with the monster’s teeth then went around. I smoothed both sides of the monster box with a moist sponge.

I combined the last slab with the top half of the box. I pinched out the eyes and used slab for the eyebrows. I put stuck them to the box with slip. When making the legs, I used the same process as with starting a slab construction: I used a small amount of clay and pounded it into a block. I scraped the side that will stick to the box, put some slip, and stick it on the box. I finished creating my monster box and now can’t wait for the glazing.





UPDATE:

Monster Box, Inspired


1 comment: