Saturday 6 December 2014

Coil Construction


The third project for class was a coil construction. I originally wanted to create honey comb mugs for my two nieces. I used the slab roller to create my base then used the coil extruder to make my coils. I assumed that using the big circle tool for the extruder would make the mug look like a honey comb. When I started assembling the coils, I noticed that the coils were too big and too thick. I stopped halfway to figure out what I would do. I decided to change the mug idea into an office supply for my mom to use. I cut out about a layer and a half of coil to give it a wide U look in the front.I blended the coils to kind of clean it up. The coils were not even. For the decorations, I pinched out the flower petals and combined them to the structure with slip. I created a butterfly to give it a girly look and used slip to “glue” it on. I used newspaper balls to hold the butterfly in place until the slip dries enough to hold it up on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment